8.27.2009

Prom: Fairy tale or another party?

Scenario 1:
Imagine being a Freshman in HS. Your first year has gone great, you're well known, grades are great, have lots of good friends, and the year is coming to a close. Seniors are (im)patiently waiting to leave and YOU were invited to the prom by one of them. (This scenario kind of reminds me of the movie 10 things I hate about you but she was a sophomore.)

So the day comes, you have your golden colored dress, your hair and makeup are done, the limo is almost there to pick you up with your date and mutual friends, your parents are ready to take pictures of you, and all you want to do is get in the limo. Once in the limo, you drink, talk bull and hang around. You're his eye candy and although, you know it, you dont care. You are willing to fulfill that job. To you, its his prom, but just another party for you.

Question: Should she enjoy this as her own as it is technically her "first" prom or should she consider it as another party? Or as the party that sets her HS career into motion?

Scenario 2:
You're a senior in HS. Almost time to graduate and enjoy the last of the festivities and that includes Prom Night. The theme this year is "One night only." You're almost done with the activities. You've only got a few weeks to do what you need. No dress yet AND its almost time. With 3 weeks left, you set out on a search. You find this turquoise halter dress that flows out. A little too long for your taste but you go to the dry cleaners to alter it. After some alterations, you are ready! Wait, no, where are your sandals? And how do you plan to wear your hair? You cant afford someone professional to do your makeup so here comes your cosmetologist grandmother on the day of Prom to help you get ready. She takes you to do your hair. Curls behind twisties, hours under the dryer. Youre tired and just want a nap. But youre thinking this is going to be the night of your life. So there you go, done with your hair, now you need a pedicure. You took care of your manicure the day before so that's not an issue. You go get your toesies done, you just want to lay back and relax, no more running around!
"Night of your life. Night of your life. Night of your life."
You finally get home and all you want to do is sit. AND BREATHE! But you cant. Grandma comes over and tells you "Wash your face, were doing your makeup."
Great. More stuff for this damn thing. Your makeup is almost done and you call your date. Lets see whats up with them and where they are. They're nowhere near done and you still want your nap. That damn nap that no one will let you have. You need that energy replenishing nap. At least, thats how I felt. (If you havent noticed, were talking about my prom, ;-)
I was almost done and it was almost time to leave for my limo. My group was big and we couldnt afford to have the limo pick us all up so we had to meet up by our HS. Not a bad deal since we all were dropped off. We all took pictures and soon were on our way to where our Prom would be held. My night was spectacular. I danced and ate, and enjoyed my night. We went to a club somewhere in the 50s in Manhattan called the Villa. It was okay. I was exhausted by the end of the night but I do believe it was the best night of my life thus far(in terms of partying and the high I felt anyway.)

Prom is a variety of things for many HSchoolers, more specifically girls. We are taught by the media that this is the one night we'll enjoy to remember and never forget. For me, this holds true. But we are also taught that there is a lot of things behind prom. Prom is sometimes considered the same as what wedding night means to most people. The loss of your virginity to the one you love(if you go to Prom with someone you love). Prom is also the biggest "party" youll remember from HS, probably also the last one you'll attend as a student in HS. To others, it is just the beginning of the closing of your HS career. There is also the fact that Prom is supposed to be just another party, to many the beginning of their party careers.

So I want to discuss what is Prom to you? What was it to you? Should it be "the night of your life?" The beginning of your fairy tale or is it just another party to the series of parties still coming? What is so big deal about Prom?

5 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

I went to two proms...my senior prom and the one that was the year after senior year. My senior year, I went with a friend of a friend, so it wasn't all that special. The one after senior year was with my boyfriend (I graduated at 17 so he was only a few months younger than I). THAT was what I still consider my real prom because it was special.

Agent Black said...

My prom was kind of like the night of my life. It also opened my eyes to some things. I gained a reputation of being a crazy dancer at my prom cuz i was going nuts and some people thought I was drunk. My date was a very good friend who I haven't been in contact with in a while. I didn't think much of prom at the time, but when people look back on it now, they think I had the time of my life. The after party was an awakening of old feelings because my ex was at the same place. I didn't want to get close to her again and I ended up not dancing with her, even when she asked me to and I said no. Consequently, I also had a stomachache (from what, I don't know). I did try to enjoy myself and after the whole thing, I felt like I crushed her feelings and felt that I still had feelings for her. Memories!!!

Jessica Nelson said...

Are those pics of you? So pretty! :-)

Wow, I'm glad prom was so exciting for you. For me, it's a faint regret. I didn't go and sometimes I wonder if I should have but then I know that possibly I may've not liked it (even though I love to dance). I just don't know.

Skinnie Minnie said...

PROM WAS MY BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!!! lol Well as you know I turned 18 that day so I counted that as my birthday party. I had fun that day. I wish my camera wasn't stolen so I would have more memories. DAMN BASTARD

Ally said...

So cool that you did a post on prom too! i keep reading about junior and senior proms, we only had a senior prom.