6.04.2010

Post grad ideas

Ive been wrestling with this for a while... About a year now, maybe less. I dont know what Ill be doing once I graduate. Truth is Im pretty scared. I have a bunch of things Ill do but theyre not career related. And thats where my fear comes in... What if in this recession I dont find a job?? Thats really scary. Really Really Scary.

I want to be able to work in a safe environment. Not so much safe as in physically, I mean safe as in recession-proof! I want to be able to live good without stressing about how I am going to pay the bills. And right now, this is the predicament I cant find myself getting out of. I wonder constantly what am I going to do next year after I graduate. I wont be working anymore. My term will be over.

So here I am listing out to you my plans... And as youll see none are career related. And they wont exactly happen in the order I list them. Theyll be within the 6 months after I graduate.

  1. Going on a roadtrip
    • I want to do a US road trip. Maybe drive through to South America also but thats kind of a maybe. I want to go state per state. Visit friends and family and just explore. I love traveling and I think it'd be best to get away from NY for a while. I'm not sure yet if or how am I going to do this and how long I plan to do it for but I know I am doing it.
  2. Going backpacking through Europe
    • I really want to do this during the summer months after graduating. I dont want to do it alone but if I have to, I will. One of my best friends wants to join me on this but from the looks of it... I dont think shes doing it. I doubt shes going to have the money for it and I am NOT going to be loaning anyone money to travel. Its just not going to happen. Either youre with me or youre not. And thats in all angles and aspects of the matter.
  3. Freelance Photography or Writing
    • If after doing my traveling, I dont find a job I'll be doing this for a while until 6 months in. I gotta get money somehow, and what good way to make up my portfolio than freelancing. Cheap and worth it.
  4. Joining Air Force or Navy
    • As much as I have hated the idea, I find myself thinking back onto this option. When I was in HS, I planned on doing it to have financial aid if I didnt get any to go to school but now Im in college and this time its the same situation but instead of school and financial aid, its to get a job. Ive always been interested but after a few things thats gone on this year, Im not so sure itll happen. Not sure at all.
Back in December, I was in an accident which messed up my back and neck and I had to have shoulder surgery (arthroscopic), basically because of this Im not too sure if Ill pass the physical requirements for the militarial forces. Quite honestly, its looking like a no. I mean granted there are other jobs but what if I wanted to go into a federal agency and be a field agent... again there are physical requirements I need to pass and Im not too confident about them anymore. SIGH. Damn the MTA.

3 comments:

Lothiriel said...

I love the backpacking idea through Europe! That was my dream!

Yael said...

I wish you the most of luck!
You are smart so you wont have any issues, just keep using that noggin of yours, youll be fine:)

Also Talking to people and networking is helpful...


Yael AKA lady from the clinic:)

Miss Murder said...

You better NOT join the Air force or Navy. I'll kill you before IT does!