10.01.2009

Group Blog: I could read!

So, of course, I am participating in this one. I LOVE TO READ! My family has made sure that that was apart of MY DNA. Although, it more of a paternal thing, my mom is also to balme for this fact. My family ensured that I knew how to read from a young age. My mom claims I was reading @ the age of 3... (Yeah, sure, more likely I was showing a tiring amount of interest in books but I doubt I read at that age.)

So, the question was what were our favorite books growing up? I had so many books, it's hard to pick JUST 1. I read anything from Beverly Cleary (and still have those books in my shelves)

She was my favorite author and it started with this book:



OMG! How I loved this book! I tried looking for the picture version of the print I had read in school but couldn't. This book led me to read every Ramona book you could think of and has been written. It's been a few years since I have read it though.

Then came the JHS years, and like Steph Faris, VC Andrews books were being passed around (I thought there was supposed to be some kind of generation gap type thing. Guess it doesn't apply to books?) I didn't like her books much but I read them. I had already gotten my taste of Stephen King books and graduated to that. Then there were some teen based books published by seventeen that I absolutely loved. I still have those and probably missing a few from the series of 12.

I usually went back and forth between teen books and adult genres. I'd read books from Zane, and other unknown authors. Reading things like Push by Sapphire and other sexually based books. (Here's an interesting fact: Despite me reading all these books that I "shouldn't have read at that age", I didn't read Go ask Alice by anonymous until I as 19 or 20 AKA THIS YEAR! As a matter of fact, I should check where that book is.)

During my teen years (and still now) I have one main book that instantly became my favorite: Caroline Mackler's The Earth, My butt and other big round things


The importance to this book will be explained in a later blog. Wow, how I loved this book. Brings back memories as I look at the cover. I read it maybe 3 or 4 months ago to just reminisce but I want to go home and read it again. (^_^)

Other than this book, my favorite author is Robert B Parker. Someone whose style of writing, I absolutely love!

I love his Spencer series and still read them. It started with Back Story. (Yeah, I know he's been around since the 80s and had a supposedly awesome TV show based on the series but guess what? I'm only 20 and started reading him @ 15. Get over it! LOL)



This was my book background growing up. What's yours?
Here a few blogs apart of the Group Blog Thursday (brought to you by Steph Faris)
Steph Faris GBT
Amy GBT
Jen GBT

4 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

I've never heard of that Earth, Butt book. I LOVE the title! I read all the Ramona books growing up too. Someone said the other day that The Outsiders was the first young adult novel. Is that true or were they speaking in broad terms? I would have thought of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys as young adult...and they go WAY back, but maybe those are considered middle grade?

Nicolette said...

I read the Outsiders when I was in 6th grade, I do believe. I dunno if it is considered the first, but I can see it. Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys were probably considered middle grade...because I could never get into them and I rarely read middle grade books. :-/

But I did read all the Ramona books, too! Crazy. I remember reading the Fudge books, too...by Judy Bloome. :) Those were good books, as well!

Kell said...

I definitely read all the Ramona books growing up! And that Earth book sounds like it would be a good read. Had to read the Outsiders in 7th grade, and I've always loved that book.

Miss Murder said...

OMG! I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT RAMONA! DAT WAS MY BYTCH THO LOLOL